Monday, March 17, 2014

My March Plans

Word of warning, if something seems a bit wonky about this post, I got glutened over the weekend so bear with my recovering brain. I couldn't wait any longer to share my plans with you and hopefully help restrain myself....
You see I had SO many plans I couldn't figure out what to do first and realizing that I only had 12 weeks left at the time I knew I wouldn't be able to get everything floating around in my brain done. Enter the chart.... I tried to draw it all out and make this cool collage but there were still too many choices and it didn't photograph well. :P

I decided to start with the most necessary items and work my way out from there. The biggest hole in my wardrobe is pants/trousers. Especially now that I'm working at a summer camp. So I broke down and bought Grainline's Maritime Shorts and have entered the "MARITIME MARATHON"
 I have it fitted to me and hacked to bermuda shorts length and tested skinny and bootcut jeans with it.  The only alteration I have left to make is figuring out how to add a back yoke so it looks more like jeans.

I have completed one pair of red print shorts and have plans to make one more denim pair. I'm finishing up a pair of navy twill skinnies and am debating between a wide/straight leg denim trousers or a more fitted Maritime jeans variation. Any advice is appreciated. I'm hoping I can get it all figured out so I can assembly line sew several of these babies.

I'm going to be making one of these shorts that look like skirts from the red and am wondering if I should do a pair in the floral as well? Is it too much to go with a tshirt? Or will it just look like a cute ditsy floral skirt? Hmm...


I bought the whole collection when it first came out and the last of them finally arrived! I'm usually cold so a couple of shrugs or jackets are on the to make list!

The only other things I need to make are some undershirts and I'm waffling between the Sammy Cami or hacking my TNT knit top pattern into a built in bra tank...

I have a ton of knit tops I really REALLY want to make and a couple corduroy jackets but I'm not sure when I'll get it all fit in... Maybe as rewards when I finish the necessary stuff?

I'm also working ahead on the monthly themes for when I'm at camp so I don't leave you guys totally hanging then but I can't exactly list them because that would be "Spoilers"! Guess who I'm thinking about now....... Muahahaahahahaha!
Ok that zapped all my energy so I better quit this rambling and go eat some homemade pizza... bye bye.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... I'm exhausted just reading that! You're going to be solo busy!

Anonymous said...

So busy.. Darned autocorrect

Arts of Eska said...

Whoa. That's a lot like my brain on too many ideas. I think you should go for the straighter leg denim pant because I seem to get double the wear out of it. You can dress it up or down easily.



And I can help you with that pants yoke if you like.

Sharon said...

I'm so glad others have the too many plans and not enough time, every time I walk into my sewing room, I change my mind at the moment. You have some great garments planned. Now the pants I would go for the straighter denim leg or bootleg (my preference) and would love to see that floral in the full shorts, would be great for camp as well.

EmSewCrazy said...

Haha, glad to hear I'm not alone! For the yoke, I'd love advice. I have this tutorial http://sewingcake.com/drafting-a-back-yoke/ but since the Maritime shorts don't have a dart I'm wondering if I just cut and add seam allowance like I would for color blocking?

EmSewCrazy said...

Yes! So hard to keep focused with all the lovelies wanting to be used. Thanks for all the pants advice! I really like bootleg style jeans as well!

Arts of Eska said...

The tutorial there gets the idea of it but you would be going the opposite way. Most yokes on jeans are hacked 1-2 inches off the side seam and then angled in to the center butt seam through the dart point.
Since your shorts are mid-rise they already have the dart excess removed. Because of that I'd say not to go farther than an inch down on the side or it may be too low and you'd have to mess with the pockets. Then just angle it in with a straight or curved line using a hip curve.

EmSewCrazy said...

Ok, that makes sense and doesn't sound too difficult. Thanks for your help and the reminder about the pockets! :)